Wednesday, 10 June 2009

Of mice and makeovers...

Of Mice. Of a mouse, to be precise.

I was half expecting Jeremy Beadle from 'You've been framed' to jump out at me.

Picture me, on crutches...trying to chase a cat, who's chasing a live mouse around my friend's living room! The cat, Billy - had proudly presented it to me a moment earlier, and seemed quite annoyed I wasn't pleased with his gift- so decided to chase it himself...and I ended up chasing the both of them.

I guess I should explain....

I'm currently cat-sitting for some friends who are on their honeymoon. They've had a neighbour feeding their animals, but I think you could say their love of cats is minimal, so the animals have been getting food without the required dose of fuss!

I couldn't make it over here last week due to having somewhat overdone it at L&J's wedding (which was AMAZING!) - so had spent most of the week in bed, exhausted and with a very sore hip :(

Anyway, now I'm a bit better, and have been able to get back behind the wheel. It's just as well - I've got appointments of some medical sort or another every day this week, at 3 different hospitals across the Midlands- including blood tests, clinic appointments, hydrotherapy, and a MRI.

Tomorrow is my busiest day. Physio & acupuncture, Xolair jab, resp clinic and rheumatology clinical nurse specialist appt.

It’s the respiratory consultant appointment that I’m almost nervous about. I want to ask him about me going on holiday. I’ve not had a holiday in over 2 years, and I really, really, really want to leave the country for 3 weeks in July/Aug to recharge my batteries with some sunshine, good food and red wine with some friends who are going to the French Alps. It’s going to be logistically tricky given my rather heavy hospital appointment schedule – even ignoring all the physio bits, I’ve been being seen weekly or fortnightly ever since the hospital admission when I got tubed. I need to somehow convince him that this frequency can be decreased and that I don’t need blood tests whilst I’m away, ask about the possibility of flying (he’ll probably just laugh at this, given my previous consultant’s responses to the same question) and then hope that I can find travel insurance to cover me without totally breaking the bank. In a way, I feel like I’m a bit loopy even trying to plan a holiday when there’s so much going on with my asthma and hip, but I can’t simply work by the ‘wait till I’m better’ theory... as who knows when that’ll be!

What's that? A stone? Would be easier to get blood from it than from me, anyway, it seems.

I caused a little distress to the Phlebos at the hospital earlier. I guess I should have known it was going to be tough when I collected my ticket (like at the supermarket fresh meat counter!) and it was number 13! I went through when my number was called, to be met with the response - 'Oh no...not you again!' Between them, the phlebos eventually got the blood- some into teeny paediatric bottles. I came out with a lot of bits of cotton wool and plasters! They've even started joking about how they're going to make sure they are on holiday next time I need blood tests. Eeek!

I stayed with a friend in Derby last night after my Birmingham appt, went home for the pin-cushion treatment (sorry, I meant blood tests!) ;)... and now I'm staying with the aforementioned in Nottingham cats for a few days whilst I've got hospital appointments in Grantham and Nottingham.

I've dosed myself up with extra antihistamines, and a little extra pred - as a preventative measure against any allergic reactions and asthma lung grumpiness due to the furry mogsters! I'm sadly a little allergic to cats, although until last summer I have had cats at home all my life. I was gutted when Magic (my old cat) had to be put down last summer after becoming ill very quickly... having had a very good 23 years of good health up to that point, which is an amazing lifespan for a cat. My current state of health and consequent repeated hospital admissions mean that at the moment, whilst I'd love a cat or two of my own again - I can't really commit to the responsibility just now... so for the time being, I get my cat 'fix' when visiting friends. I'm getting a good 'dose' right now... as there's seven cats keeping me company!

Some of the cats took some time to realise that there was actually a human around who wanted to fuss them... it took the smell of a Nando's takeaway to drag them out of their hiding places!

Tango, Pebbles, and Buttons were around when I arrived and immediately wanted fuss. Simba was a little aloof, and went out in disgust! Nala, Billy, and Astro took a while to realise there was anyone around. I think they'd only been coming home when they were hungry. Billy was the culprit involved in the mouse incident. The mouse is now safe, recovering in a box in the kitchen overnight with some shredded paper and rabbit food. Billy is still looking very proud of himself, and is curled up on my knee. Clover, the rabbit - is happily kicking around in a fresh pile of shredded paper, and all the other cats are now happily asleep in various locations. Tango, who's asleep across the back of the sofa across my shoulders is even snoring!

And on to the second part of my title...Makeovers.

Any previous readers will notice that there has been a rather large change in the appearance of my blog. This is all due to hard work from Louise from Write From The Heart, who with the rather limited help from myself has come up with some awesome blog graphics. I essentially said I'd like the graphics to include a stethoscope and an inhaler....to reflect the 'doctor as patient' role I currently find myself stuck in..and, well - this is the result! :)

I just love the header graphics, and think my custom signature is fab. What do you think?

I'm hoping the new look will encourage more blogging on my part, and hopefully - some more interaction / feedback from anyone who's following it! Hint, Hint, wink wink, nudge, nudge!!! ;)

There will be a few small changes coming up later on. The twitter link needs changing to the correct one -this numpty here forgot that she'd changed it, and gave Louise the old one! Doh!

Anyway, is getting late, I should probably even say early..as its the early hours....I suppose I better sign off and go to bed. I just need to persuade the cats that it's time to move! I'll try to update you again soon.

7 comments:

My Diabetic Sweet Life said...

I am sooooo pleased that you are now enjoying blogging again and I'm looking forward to keeping up with you and your antics :) I have to say that I think your makeover is now my favourite as I just LOVE cartoon style blogs - and I love the serene colours too! Anyway have fun with the little furrballs - mine is so antisocial these days I'd love him to show us some love LOL.

I sympathise with you on the vein issue as mne are rubbish as well and they always seem to find a vein in some obscure body part....which is usually very painful. I used to be good at getting blood from babies.....maybe you should come to me LOL - second thoughts don't as I'm out of practice now! Seems like only yesterday *sigh*

KSD said...

Thanks Louise. OOoh my blog makeover is your favourite? :) You might have done all the work, but somehow it still makes me proud!

Well, these cats are certainly social! Was woken up this morning by a cat on my chest, licking my face! Ewwww... Mouse and cat-biscuit breath!

Joey Paul said...

I love the layout and I found you through Louise's list of clients, I also have brittle asthma (I assume that's what type of asthma you have) and had a blog makeover a few weeks back and have since been singing Louise's prasies to anyone who will listen and recommending her to anyone who is eligible..

Anyway, the point of my comment is to say I'm following you now, if you want to follow my blog that's up to you!

Also, the insurance thing, I have type one brittle asthma, M.E and Fibromyalgia and I managed to get travel insurance every time I go abroad from Barclays...it's not that expensive either and covers ALL my pre-exsiting conditions and pretty much every time I fly to the US I have at least one hospital visit so they don't even mind if you claim and haven't blacklisted me yet. They deal with the hospital direct and will refund you anything you paid for medication and/or doctor visits while away, the other thing to remember is that you're planning to visit inside the EU, so an E111 should cover you, it did me in Sweden, but if you'd feel safer with proper insurance as well, then you can use Barclays as they will cover your pre-exsisting conditions and won't charge a fortune...granted it's been five years since I last used them, but they are good..

Hope you don't suffer too much looking after the kitties.

Joey

KSD said...

Thanks Joey.

Good to hear the info about Barclays - will have to do some research, once I've broached the holiday subject with my cons this afternoon.

Will have a looksee at your blog later, but for now have to get myself ready for the hospital delights this afternoon brings ;)

rattles said...

Hello KSD!!!!
Love it love it love it!!!! louise has done a fab job!!!! I think all her designs are fab!!!!

Enjoy the biscuit and mouse breath - boy that did make me giggle!!!

Speak soon lotsa lv Rattles Xxxx

Jenny said...

It's so pretty! Louise did a wonderful job! I'm thinking about starting a blog during my pregnancy, maybe you could show me how to sexy it up a bit!

The cats all send purrs and Tango sends a big dribbly kiss!

J xx

KSD said...

OOh, just catching up on my blog comments before hopefully writing a new post.

Louise - just seen your request for a testimonial - of course!! Please bug me via email! Am too shattered tonight and struggling a bit with life generally atm, but will definitely do it at some point. I will just possibly need shoving in the right direction.

Jenny -I think a pregnancy blog would be an awesome idea.. you should drop louise a line, and explain things. How are you? Are you now following this blog? xx