Saturday, 7 February 2009

New Year’s Resolutions

I'm not someone who usually makes New Year's Resolutions, and if I do , I rarely tell anyone.... but as I decided that 2009 is going to be different from the last few years, in....well, oh so, so many ways, that I decided to be different in these matters too- So, I made three New Year's Resolutions, and so far... I'm doing pretty well on two of them, and I'm hoping you'll forgive the poor performance on the 3rd, which is essentially due to my good behaviour on the first two.

Having safely made it into February, I feel able to tell you about them now.

My New Year's resolutions were:

1) Stay out of hospital for longer than 6 weeks at a stretch (which sadly had been the longest I'd been out of hospital, since Sept 2007!)

2) See more of my friends

3) Be better at writing my blog


 

So, here goes- Kira's unashamedly, thoroughly un-objective, self written report card:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/2/09 5:52am Location: Spare bedroom at Helen's House, Derbyshire.

New Year's Resolution (NYR) Subjects Report

NYR Subject 1: Staying out of Hospital

Performing admirably so far, having been out of hospital for 7, YES, SEVEN! WHOLE weeks! A 16.7% improvement on previous best performance in past 17 months. Conclusion: Fantastic Progress. Keep it up!

NYR Subject 2: Seeing more of my Friends

Doing well. Has been observed catching up with multiple friends; including:

  • Medical school friend Cat [although technically prior to NYE, as visit ended on 31st, allowed for accreditation of prior learning (APL)] - they cooked and consumed an impressive amount of food, and watched many DVDs.
  • Medical school friend Amy and her mum, who popped in for soup on their way to Leeds and provided delicious Tiptree blueberry jam! [See previous note about APL]
  • Antipodean visitors Roger and Karen, catching up on over 3 years of gossip whilst drinking much tea and coffee, bud, wine and playing on the wii!
  • Medical school friend Becky, involving much cooking and eating of moussaka and drinking of wine
  • Secondary school friend Esme - many years of catching up, much laughing over old school photos and leaving books - hysterical 4 days
  • Work friend Sarah, who provided delicious lasagne and they ate baked plums whilst gossiping.
  • London friend Anu. They went for the 'Best carvery in Grantham' and had an epic snowball fight
  • Lincoln / ex-derby mate Paul on several occasions socially, but also including a couple of slightly reluctant but very necessary trips to Lincoln hospital for ortho services! Thanks Paul – your gentle persuasion very greatly appreciated!
  • And in the past 24 hours has been seen with Derby friends James, popped in to see Linda & other friends on resp ward, and eaten delicious curry with Helen & Quentin.

Plans underway for further 'Work on NYR Subject 2' with Anna & Phil, James, Mark and possibly others in the Derby/Notts region over the forthcoming 72 hour period.

Conclusion: Doing Well. Should aim to continue current level of achievement over forthcoming months. Targets should be set to see Ruth, Laura, Jon, Lauren, Joyce, Neil, Charlotte, Beth, Jo, Joanna, Simon, Paul, Antoinette and others as soon as possible.

NYR Subject 3: Blog Writing

Has only written once so far this year. Post short and to the point, but accompanied by humorous illustration. Needs to include posts on recent events including hospital stays prior to Christmas, and life since. Currently am allowing a little flexibility due to the good progress made in NYR subjects 1&2 and the technical difficulties Kira's experiencing with her body, but will expect to see an improvement over coming weeks. Conclusion. Must try harder!

Overall Progress: Satisfactory. Keep going!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what do you think? Have I assessed my progress fairly? Any 'work assignments' missed out? Any future 'assignments' preferably with planned deadlines, that any of you care to suggest? ;)

Nighty Night for now, I should try and get some more sleep – fantastically busy, fun weekend ahead of me! :) x

No comments: